Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Witch Hunts

Witch hunts is a search for witches or evidence of witchcraft, but it could also mean a group of people getting together and going after others they dont agree with or seeking revenge from. Some call it a form of haressment. Witch hunts have been performed since midevil time all the way up to modern today. From the fifteenth to eighteenth centuries, many Europeans developed a phenomenon of witchcraft.The belief that women were sinful and had the power of the devil within them developed out of the Middle Ages. The government and society organized witchhunts, where many were accused, tourchered, and thousands executed. These hunts varied place to place and their main target was women. Finally the enlightenment brought and end to the hunts for threats that did not exist. There has been many theorys of why witch hunt and witchcrafts have been found. Some theories are: Greed, if founded for witchcraft or proscuted as a witch, they would have to give up land, so other could confiscate their land. Others believe it could be the famine theory, where a disaster had occured and people would blame supernatural forces.
http://departments.kings.edu/womens_history/witch/

19 comments:

Becca said...

Great site! This really gives you a good grasp of what witch hunts were and are, and how they came to be. Causes for the literal term of a witch hunt are given (drugs, opinions, etc.)...but there are different reasons for modern day witch hunts as well. Discrimination and fear are reasons that have applied for both past and recent witch hunts. But again I have to say this is a very informative site!

shooter 64 said...

I agree with Becca. The site you found was very informative. It showed how witch hunts started. I think that a group of people should get together and try to stop the witch hunts. If they're kept going, they can get out of control and can cause great damage in the future.

wrestling125 said...

So pretty much we found out why people think a group of people are witches because they are on drugs. It has a lot of information and of modern day witch hunts. Some one should stop witch hunts but they will never stop i know.
LZ

Anonymous said...

Now I don't have the time to read the entire site, but what I did read was very well detailed. That is exactly what a witchhunt is! Glad you put this site up...a great insight into witchhunts

kate said...

It's hard to believe that witch hunts are so freqent in so many areas in the world. This website was really good because you got some much information easy. I also like the Witch Hunt in Germany simulation, I wasn't witch yay!

Schaff's Blog said...

This is the first information site I've seen! It gives great explanations and examples as to what witch hunts are. Definitely a different approach to this assignment than the sites others found, but great job!

123Rage(oake) said...

Great explantation of witch hunts.This site really explains how the witch hunt process works & what constitues one. Plus, it's nice to know europe was full of high people just like america.

Rach Waldo said...

This site is great it helps you learn more about witch hunts. It gives theories about the causes of witch hunts which is really great. Awesome site because it has great information on witch hunts.

Kristen Suchor said...

I think that it is interesting that witch hunts have been around for that long, and that there are many different types of witch hunts.

Emma said...

Why was it always women?! But this is a great site, Kelsey. It explained witch hunts and helped me better grasp the idea of them. And Tyler, I think it would be great to stop witch hunts, but is it even possible? We have witch hunts in small town Redfield.

Thadd said...

The witch hunts of the medival era were horrible and very bias to women or for land, but could you imagine yourself being witch hunted? (FWI: I liked the "Witch Hunt Simulation"!)

trombone_girl2010 said...

This is an amazing site, just like Becca said. It had a ton of information and background information. I agree with Tyler on the fact that 'a group of people should get together and try to stop the witch hunts.' There are a lot of good points to be made. Jamie Werner

Anonymous said...

This is a great site on witch hunts. It has great information about witch hunts, and how they started. I was suprised at how much they happen.

~Red Curls~ =] said...

That is very interesting. Good site. It is fun to learn the history of witch hunts.

Flint's owner said...

Great Job finding this and thank you it explains quite a few details on witch hunts.

Crazeh said...

That's a pretty cool site, gives you lots of info.

Austin J. Whitley said...

Fantastic site that really lays down some facts. Druggies are bad people for the most part.

Archangel(Kenton) said...

I find witch hunts to be a exaggerated lies to plot revenge. Then other people saw how well it worked out and it spread. It was perfect. You practically didn't even have to have physical evidence to condemn someone.

Chaz said...

Very true but I don't really understand why it is how it is I suppose I will have to skim over that website a couple more times.